Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Thaden School is committed to actively engaging with the ever-unfinished and essential work of diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism.
Thaden School's Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, AND belonging Goals
Goal 1: Cultivate a Diverse and Inclusive Community
- Foster a community that embraces diversity in all forms including race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, religion, and abilities.
- Promote an inclusive where all community members feel valued, respected, and a sense of belonging.
Goal 2: Champion Equitable Experiences
- Ensure that every member of the community, regardless of background or identity, has equitable access to opportunities, resources, and support.
- Identify and strive to disparities in educational outcomes and experiences within the school community so that every student has an equal opportunity to thrive at Thaden.
Goal 3: Advance Education for Inclusion
- Develop comprehensive school-wide initiatives that promote DEIB in ways that will prepare students for lives of “responsible global citizenship” and otherwise advance our mission.
- Commit to providing ongoing education and training to all stakeholders, fostering a vibrant, inclusive, and compassionate multicultural community.
Goal 4: Engage the Entire Community
- Actively involve all voices within the school community, including students, faculty, staff, families, and alumni, in DEIB efforts.
- Promote cultural awareness and understanding in various aspects of school life, from the curriculum to extracurricular activities.
Goal 5: Ensure Accountability and Continuous Improvement
- Regularly review and assess the strategies and tactics implemented to measure their effectiveness in achieving DEIB goals.
- Continuously adapt and refine initiatives to ensure long-term success in creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive, school environment where all feel a sense of belonging.
These goals emphasize the commitment to fostering in our school community and ensuring accountability for sustained progress and improvement.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging Committee
At Thaden School, we are dedicated to the ongoing work of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB), recognizing their fundamental importance to the mission, goals, and aspirations of our educational community. Since our establishment in 2017, we have remained steadfast in our commitment to building a welcoming and inclusive community at the center of the United States where many perspectives are respectfully invited, expressed, and explored – where we grow stronger together by virtue of our differences, true to our motto, "Together We Fly" (Evolamus Unum). The work of the DEIB Committee is central to this collective effort and shared commitment as it leads initiatives that shape the educational experiences of our students and foster culture of belonging for all members of our school community and those who visit our campus.
DEIB at Thaden: A Timeline
Advancing DEIB initiatives through the development of Thaden School's mission and guiding principles, indexed tuition program, and active community engagement.
DEIB Strategic Planning Group is created and met regularly during the 2019-2020 academic year. Strategic Recommendations for academic year 2020-2021 are formed and set into motion.
DEIB Committee advances strategic recommendations including training SEED facilitators, creating affinity spaces, and leveraging survey tools.
DEIB Committee updates strategic recommendations in collaboration with the Student of Color Union. DEIB Committee advances strategic recommendations including supporting affinity spaces, supporting faculty growth, and supporting diverse faculty.
At Thaden School, we actively involve students, colleagues, and families in a diverse range of DEIB-focused learning experiences and community-building initiatives. Below are some of the programs and opportunities that our school provides and engages in.